In April of 2009 we had the beginnings of a requirement. There was one side - one side of a cutting. There were three railway tracks running past this small one sided cutting.
By the end of April we had a better idea of what we wanted - we wanted a mountain over in the centre of this end of the layout. This would then of course require a way of getting vehicles and people into the town that would be sitting in the shadow of this mountain.
So we grabbed some of the Peco N Truss Girder Bridge Sides (each of which are 143mm long) and cut them up and stuck a piece of 1/16" balsa wood between them to act as a temporary bridge. Well, it might become permanent if we are lazy enough.
In May we decided that the bridge needed to exit to the small side via a tunnel, so we dug out a portal and a slice of cardboard tube to place about where we though a tunnel for the cars and trucks might go. We also spotted a few trees around to see what it might look like.
Soon June came along and we had built up the tunnel roof with more plaster and even added a bit too much concrete colouring to the plaster leaving us with a bit of a chocolate tunnel top.
Then along came Peter. New member and keen. So he fell for the usual club trick - if you mention something is lacking or not up to scratch - the job is yours!
So we handed over another 6 of the Peco bridge sides and Peter came back in August with the start of his bridge to replace our poor cousin of one.
The next time he came down he had added the decking.
Then we put a few cars on top to see how it was coming along - pretty nice I reckon.
By September Peter had given the bridge some feet and a coat of primer and she was looking like a real one.
Late in September, Peter added some railings using the thread method described by himself in the Nov or Dec issue of the club newsletter. The footings for the bridge were also starting to take shape as well.
The abutments were primarily poured in place into balsawood boxing. Other parts were made seperately but also balsa was used to box them up.
Then we just used a bit more plaster to join the blocks together and to make the whole abutment join into the layout plaster mountain.
By now it was October and Peter had gotten the bridge deck painted and the centre lines painted on it - lookin' good I reckon.
Since then the bridge sits while we build the new Exhibition layout, but at least she's there and traffic can use her.
CGSY with Stainless Stripes - A shot of a Qube grain train coming through Mittagong last week. The CGSY rake still runs via Sydney as it appears that it isn't yet certified to run down...
5 hours ago